Governor Andrew Cuomo has made it a priority to move this project forward in a way that mitigates impact on the surrounding communities.
The LIRR Expansion Project is a new and different proposal with increased community benefits and less disruption than previous plans. The project’s public outreach process is modeled on the successful efforts ordered by Governor Cuomo for the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project.
Unprecedented Public Outreach
- Project Meetings: Meetings are constantly being held to share information, identify issues of concern, and gather community input.
- Project Information Center: A staffed Project Information Center at Mineola Station is easily accessible to those living, working and traveling through the project area. For hours click here.
Community Focused Construction Mitigation
Incorporating extensive input from local communities, the project team is exploring neighbor-friendly and innovative construction methods and practices to keep the impact of construction as minimal as possible. This community-focused approach to construction includes:
- Pre-construction home inspections
- Satellite parking to keep workers’ personal vehicles out of residential streets
- Using existing track to transport materials to and from work sites
- Advance notification disruptive work or road closures to residents, municipalities, school districts, and first-responders
- Scheduling construction deliveries outside of school and commuter traffic peak hours to the extent practicable
- Creating and implementing a community noise and vibration monitoring program
- Implementing an air quality control plan to include dust control measures, ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel, the use of best available tailpipe technologies such as diesel particulate filters, and the utilization of newer equipment
- Environmental monitoring consistent with a Construction Health and Safety Plan
- Protecting access to existing businesses
- Street cleaning as needed
- Door-to-door outreach to residents
- Regular online updates to the public
- Staffing the Project Information Office with on-site supervision for rapid response to neighborhood concerns
- 24/7 hotline assigned to a community outreach representative
Meeting Project Deadlines and Goals
To meet deadlines and goals, the project will employ the cutting edge “design-build” construction approach used with great success on other projects like the replacement Tappan Zee Bridge.
- Design and construction will be contracted out to a single private sector team, resulting in significant savings in time and cost.
- Selection of teams will reward innovation in minimizing community impacts and accelerating construction timetables.
- Construction team will be held accountable for project timelines with severe penalties for delays.