Congratulations to the winners of the LIRR Expansion Project Spring 2019 STEM Competition! More than 70 submissions were received with participation by more than 200 students. Students in grades 6 through 12 attending specific schools along the corridor were tasked with answering the following prompt: If you had a budget of $10,000, how would you like to see the Community Benefits Fund used in your community during the LIRR Expansion Project with respect to (a) noise, (b) quality-of-life, (c) local businesses or (d) other. Students could submit either a poster or a video; they could prepare their submissions individually, in small groups, or as an entire class.
The students had countless creative ideas, including installing new artwork at construction sites, implementing noise mitigation techniques, introducing eco-friendly construction methods and many others. Fourteen submissions were selected as winners. The winning POSTER submissions are:
- Matias Goncalves, Isabella Guzzardo, Mia Bella Love, Luke Martinez, and Sophia McCann; Mineola Middle School 6th Grade; Extra credit received for Most Creative Idea
- Angelina Daniel, Cathleen DeOliveira, Brandon Grima, and Alex Henriquez; Carle Place Middle School 7th Grade; Extra credit received for Most Practical Idea
- Rebecca Phinney; Garden City Middle School 7th Grade; Extra credit for Best Environmental Idea
- Ayleen Alvarado, Brenda Galdamez, and Lenny Jean; Westbury Middle School 8th Grade; Extra credit for Most Innovative Idea
- Ryan Melendez; Garden City Middle School 8th Grade; Extra credit for Best Traffic Solution
- Sean Connolly, Abby DeCicco, Katie Grimpel, Kevin Hyland, and Maggie McCann; Anne’s School 6th Grade; Extra credit for Most Precise Budget
- Joanna Tavoulareas; Garden City Middle School 7th Grade; Extra credit for Most Cultural Idea
- Tyler Horsford; Westbury High School 11th Grade; Most Professional Poster
The posters are on display at the LIRR Expansion Project’s Community Information Center in Mineola. All competition submissions will be on display through July 31, 2019. For more information about the LIRR Expansion Project Floral Park to Hicksville, please visit the project page on AModernLI.com – //www.amodernli.com/project/thirdtrack/.