Long Island Rail Road will complete the replacement of track switches east of Syosset over the weekends of August 10-11 and 17-18, work that began on the last weekend in July. These devices allow the railroad to safely switch trains from one track to another between Huntington and Hicksville – the new switches will improve safety and service reliability and keep the LIRR system in a state of good repair.
This weekend, Saturday, August 10 and Sunday, August 11, switch replacement work east of Syosset at a location known as “Amott Interlocking” and bridge modernization work east of Smithtown will impact service on the Huntington/Port Jefferson Branch. Service is affected as follows:
Weekend Busing Extended and Times Revised
- Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor & Syosset: Weekend train service at these stations will be reduced from half-hourly to hourly.
- Huntington through Smithtown: Weekend train service at these stations will be reduced from every 90 minutes to every two hours.
- Smithtown through Port Jefferson: Buses replace trains in both directions throughout the weekend.
- Hicksville through Port Jefferson: Buses replace trains in both directions between Hicksville and Port Jefferson starting at 3:30 PM Sunday until early Monday morning. Train service will be restored in time for the Monday morning rush hour.
- The 12:19 AM westbound train from Huntington to Penn Station (arr.1:24 AM) will originate at Hicksville at 12:37 AM. Instead, customers can take the 1:39 AM train from Huntington to Penn Station (arr. 2:46 AM).
- The 12:35 AM westbound train from Huntington to Penn Station (arr.1:42 AM) will originate at Hicksville at 12:53 AM. Instead, customers can take the 1:39 AM train from Huntington to Penn Station (arr. 2:46 AM). Connecting bus service for this train will be available from Huntington to Hicksville.
- The 12:55 AM eastbound train from Huntington to Port Jefferson (arr.1:42 AM) will be canceled. Instead, customers can take the 1:32 AM train from Huntington to Port Jefferson (arr. 2:19 AM).
A complete special timetable covering these two days can be found at this link:
See this weekend’s special timetable: //bit.ly/2Yv8C91
Please plan ahead: Similar schedule changes will be in effect on the weekend of August 17-18 due to continuing switch work affecting the Huntington/Port Jefferson Branch.
For more information, contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist.
The LIRR Modernization Program is a multibillion dollar investment in the regional transportation infrastructure that aims to foster Long Island’s economic growth for generations to come. This comprehensive program to reconstruct and improve the LIRR system is moving forward with planning, design and construction. These projects range from large system expansion efforts, such as the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, East Side Access and the Double Track Project from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma, to improvements to existing infrastructure, such as substation replacements and station enhancements. Collectively, these projects will work together to improve the overall LIRR system efficiency and reliability.
Each discrete project works to advance the goal of modernizing Long Island’s transportation system. Through these modernization efforts, traveling on the LIRR will become faster, more reliable and more comfortable. The program will provide more commuting options between New York City and Long Island as well as intra-Island service. It is vital that these improvements to the LIRR system happen now to make working and living on Long Island easier and to ensure Long Island’s economic prosperity for the next century. For more information, please visit AModernLI.com – //www.amodernli.com/.