In response to requests for more time to comment on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the LIRR Expansion Project, Governor Andrew Cuomo is extending the deadline for comments on this document to February 15, 2017, at 5 p.m.
The Draft EIS comment period for this project was already longer than those for much larger projects, such as the 2nd Avenue Subway and the new Tappan Zee Bridge. Now it’s even longer.
When Governor Cuomo announced early last year this project to add a third track to the congested Main Line of the LIRR, he made clear that this project would be completely different from prior proposals. Unlike prior proposals, the third track would be built entirely within the LIRR right-of-way. In addition, he promised unprecedented public outreach in order for the project to be reflective of community concerns and needs.
Since the Governor’s announcement back in January of last year, we’ve opened a project office to provide you with information and answer questions. In addition, we have made commitments to:
- take no residential properties,
- modify all seven grade crossings in the project area,
- add sound barrier walls,
- improve stations,
- add parking, and
- speed construction and minimize its impacts.
Today’s deadline extension is another example of the Governor’s and project team’s strong commitment to community outreach and input.
To learn more about the project, and download the Draft EIS, visit the project website at www.aModernLI.com.
There are numerous ways to comment on the Draft EIS:
- Submit comments at aModernLI.com
- Email comments to info@aModernLI.com
- Visit the Project Information Center at Mineola Station. The Center is staffed five days a week (hours at aModernLI.com)
- Write to:
Edward M. Dumas, Vice President Market Development & Public Affairs
Long Island Rail Road Expansion Project
MTA Long Island Rail Road
MC 1131 Jamaica Station Building
Jamaica, NY 11435
- Attend one of the six public hearings being held on January 17, 18 and 19. The full schedule is available here.